20 Shallots ( thinly slice and fry till crispy and golden brown )
5 Mushroom ( soak for 1 hour till soft, clean and slice thinly. Stir fry with 1 tbsp of oil & soya sauce )
300g Anchovies / Ikan Bilis ( clean and fry till crispy )
Some Green vegetables ( own preference )
For the Soup
500g Spare Ribs ( can be any other bones or meat to be used as soup base )
500g Anchovies /Ikan Bilis ( clean and fry till crispy )
2pkts Dongcai /冬菜 ( winter vegetable )
- Bring water to boil . Add in spare ribs and boil over low heat for 1hour .
- Add in pre fried anchovies and Dongcai. Continue to boil over low heat for 2 hours
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
For the Dough/ Pan Mee
1kg Plain Flour
- Sift plain flour in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and add water gradually till all flour stick together . Do not worry if its too dry as long as the flour stick to be one dry ball
- Add margerine one tbsp at a time. Knead till all margerine absorb before adding another tbsp.
- Continue kneading to form a smooth pliable dough. Shape into one big ball. Pad the surface of the dough with margerine .
- Cover the dough to rest with a damp cloth . Leave aside to rest for 2 hours in the fridge
- Using a sauce pan, scoop 3-4 cups of the pre boiled soup into the sauce pan and bring to boil
- Remove a small piece from the dough and roll into thin sheet ( depending on own preference ) . Tear the pan mee using your hand as a scoop and add into the boiling soup . Cook the pan mee for 5 minutes
- Pick some vegetables and add into the boiling soup . Stir for 1 minute .
- Dish up and serve immediately with fry anchovies , shallots,mushroom and cut cili padi .Voila !!! You are ready to serve your delicious bowl of pan mee... Enjoy !!